FacebookGoogle PlusHot Coursehot-courseicon-eyeicon-heartIndustryInstagramLevelLinked InMenuNew ZealandPinterestscholarhipSearchRTOs (AUS) email us for your login detailsstar-auditedstar-fundedstarTumblrTwitterYoutube
We compare All Australian Qualifications independently for you!

Study in Australia VISA

study in australia - visa

We have provided you with the following information to assist you to make an informed decision about the benefits of studying in Australia.

How to apply for a Student Visa to Study in Australia?

With our 99.5% success rate, we take pride in our reputation as knowledgeable, experienced migration lawyers. Book a free initial consultation today!

Study in Australia

To study in Australia you'll need to apply for both admission to an institution and also for a student visa from the Australian Government.

How do I apply to study in Australia?

What do I do?

We can help you with your application enrolment!

Studying in Australia, Australian Student Visa

Information for students who are considering study in Australia.

How to apply for a study visa in Australia?.

There are various visas that you can apply for depending on your plans in Australia, such as,

Student visa (subclass 500)

If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500).

There is specific information for Foreign Affairs and Defence sponsored students and school sector students.

Find out how to apply for family members to join you.

There is more information for students including genuine temporary entrant requirements, health insurance, English language requirements, financial capacity requirements and changing courses.

You might be able to package your courses if you would like to study more than one course.

For information about your rights and responsibilities while studying in Australia read the factsheet available at the

Department of Education and Training website.

Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)

If you plan to come to Australia to provide care to a student under 18 years, you can apply for the

Student Guardian visa (subclass 590).

Training visa (subclass 407)

For training opportunities which allow you to take part in structured workplace-based training, you may be eligible for the

Training visa (subclass 407).


Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

If you have finished your studies and wish to work in Australia temporarily, you may be eligible for the post-study work visa, the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).

Visiting and studying

If you would like to come to Australia for a visit and short-term study, you may be eligible for a visitor visa. To learn more about this option, see our information on Visiting Australia.

Post study work arrangements

If you have finished your studies and wish to work in Australia temporarily,

please see Post-study work arrangements or our Working visas.

Other information

As a student, it is important to check what you can bring into Australia before you enter.

Please ensure you visit our Can I bring it back? guide before you decide to bring anything to Australia.

Which English language tests are accepted by the Department?

We accept the following English language tests:

Applicants should refer to the relevant visa information for specific information.


Alternative test scores benchmarked as against the IELTS band scale


English Language
proficiency level

Test component IELTS TOEFL
Cambridge English:
Advanced (CAE)*



Average/total/overall across test components only 4.5 32 30 147 n/a



Listening 5.0 4 36 154 B
Reading 5.0 4 36 154 B  
Writing 5.0 14 36 154 B  
Speaking 5.0 14 36 154 B  



Listening 6.0 12 50 169 B  
Reading 6.0 13 50 169 B  
Writing 6.0 21 50 169 B  
Speaking 6.0 18 50 169 B  


(for points tested Skilled visas)

Listening 7.0 24 65 185 B



Reading 7.0 24 65 185 B  


Writing 7.0 27 65 185 B  


Speaking 7.0 23 65 185 B  


(for points tested Skilled visas)

Listening 8.0 28 79 200 A


Reading 8.0 29 79 200 A  


Writing 8.0 30 79 200 A  


Speaking 8.0 26 79 200 A  

*From 1 January 2015 and only for a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test taken on or after 1 January 2015.
Source: https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/aelt

Working in Australia

Information on how to apply for work visas, information about skilled occupations in Australia, Licensing and registration requirement and regional employment.

Work visa options

Skilled migration visa options

You may be eligible for a skilled visa if, amongst other things, you are a skilled overseas worker with skills needed in Australia.

See > Workers

Sponsored or nominated work visa options

You may be eligible for a nominated or sponsored work visa if, amongst other things, you are nominated or sponsored by:

See > Workers



Information for workers including:

See > Workers


Information for Australian employers about:

See > Employers


Skill Select

If you are a skilled overseas worker and want to apply for a skilled migration visa, you can lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) to work in Australia.

See> SkillSelect http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Skill

If you apply for a visa to work in Australia, you might have to pass the points test.

What is the points test?

The points test is used to help Australia select people who have the skills and attributes it needs.

The number of points you need to pass the points test depends on the visa you apply for.

You can be given points for a number of reasons, including your:

Regional Employment

Information on employment programs to attract young, skilled, English-speaking migrants to regional areas of Australia, including:

Regional opportunities for migrants

Regional certifying bodies

See > Regional employment

Skills Australia Needs

The Australian government attends skilled migration events around the world. The events provide information to skilled workers on what it is like to work in Australia.

See > Skills Australia Needs

Work visa scams

Be aware that criminals can use visa scams to exploit or steal money from overseas workers wanting to come to Australia. These criminals may lure people by making false promises of work and permanent   residence in Australia.

Learn how to avoid being a victim of a work visa scam.

See > Work visa scams

Bringing family with you

If you are working in Australia, you may be able to bring your family if:

See > Bringing family with you

Take a working holiday in Australia

If you are a young person (aged 18-30) and want to work and holiday in Australia for up to a year, you may be eligible for a working holiday visa.

A working holiday visa allows you to work while you have the holiday of a lifetime. You will have the opportunity to share your culture, knowledge and skills whilst discovering our unique landscape.

See > Visit for work

Once you have arrived in Australia you need to apply for a Unique Student Identifier (USI).

What is a USI?

The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that: creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with. https://www.usi.gov.au/students/create-your-usi

Select one of the following:

Ensure that you have Identification handy and follow the instructions to obtain a USI.

If you are an International student studying in Australia you will require a USI. Note that you cannot apply for a USI while you are still overseas. You will only be able to apply for a USI once you have entered Australia using your non-Australian passport and Australian visa.

International students studying offshore

If you are an international student studying offshore, and do not intend on travelling to Australia to complete or undertake study, you do not need a USI. This also applies to New Zealand citizens.

Other useful links:

Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT)

The Department of Education and Training undertook enhancements to the QILT website in late 2016 which included:

new survey results from the 2016 Graduate Outcomes Survey and 2016 Graduate Outcome Survey ? Longitudinal, examining short and medium term labour market outcomes of graduates postgraduate coursework survey results showing employment and further study outcomes, and course satisfaction https://www.qilt.edu.au/

Australian Qualification Framework (AQF).

The AQF is the national policy for regulated qualifications in Australian education and training. It incorporates the qualifications from each     education and training sector into a single comprehensive national qualifications framework. The AQF was first introduced in 1995 to underpin the national system of qualifications in Australia encompassing higher education, vocational education and training and schools. https://www.aqf.edu.au/

Australian Tourism

Welcome to the official Australian tourism website http://www.australia.com/en


NOTE: All institutions provide information about the cost of living in a particular area of Australia, such as, accommodation, transport, costs of food and jobs in that area.

For general information about Australia, such as,

For information about jobs opportunities commonly people search http://www.seek.com.au

For information about accommodation commonly people search http://www.realestate.com.au